Koh Phangan, Thailand: The Ultimate Digital Nomad Heaven
Yuli Azarch | March 5, 2016 | 4 Comments on Koh Phangan, Thailand: The Ultimate Digital Nomad Heaven
I have been for quite some time in Koh Phangan, Thailand. In the last 8 months, I have spent about 5 months here, so it practically became my digital nomad ‘home’, if you want to call it this way. I like to call it my ‘base’. I am travelling the world right now for 21 months, and visited about 20 countries in that period. I have been in a lot of places.
My conclusion: I find Koh Phangan to be literally a heaven for digital nomads who are looking for living in different around the world. I haven’t personally found any more perfect place still in the world, and the reasons are the following:
- Pricing! Who doesn’t love to leave off cheap, and not overpay? Koh Phangan is one of the cheapest places you’ll find in the world. Your total monthly expense here can be ridiculously low while your lifestyle quality is ridiculously high. If you earn in $US Dollars and you spend your money in the local currency, you save money! This money can be put towards other things, such as investments, donations, gifts, and anything in between. It doesn’t matter how much you earn, it is more important how much you save& invest.
- The weather here is amazing! Throughout the whole year, you will have a sun. There are no winters in Koh Phangan. Since it’s a tropical place, you can have rains sometimes, and have days that are rainier than others. Personally, I love those rainy days, as they are still hot, and bring a great balance to the hot burning sun you get on a regular basis. Forget any kind of cold, snow, here you will have sun all the time (Good news for your Vitamin D levels!)
- A big community of foreigners who live here and visit here!. There are lots of people who are literally living here and if you’re looking to settle down in a place, it’s a great benefit to have people who live here as well, having a community and some similarities. Your surrounding is very critical, and they affect you in a very deep way. If you are choosing for a place to live or settle down for a period, you want high quality people around you. There is a wonderful community here. The people here are amazing, they are warm, loving, caring, supportive, healthy & happy!
- The Internet is just great! If you are a digital nomad, that may have been your number one choice for a place 🙂 You must know how the internet is super important! Without the good internet, you cannot do your work. Out of all places I visited in Asia, in the last 9 months, Koh Phangan has the best internet. Doesn’t matter that it’s an island, don’t let this fact run you off. The Wi-Fi is just fantastic here on the island. On top of that, the 3G is very fast. So I also have a monthly 3G package, that if sometimes the Wi-Fi is going down (Still, an island), I activate the 3G right away and I am back and running on no time, and it’s very quick.
- Plenty of activities! If you choose to settle down here or any other place, I believe it’s important to have a structure for the day, it’s very important to do things except work because it’s very easy to work too much. In Koh Phangan, you will never be bored because this place is filled with endless amount of activities, workshops, daily drop-ins and classes, for any kind of physical & spiritual activities that will enable you to grow in a big way! I personally do daily yoga, and in between do some workshops that I find interesting. It brings a very good balance work-personal life balance.
- Night life! The Nightlife in Koh Phangan is considered to be one of the craziest in the world. There is one side in the Island where you have the full moon party, if you are into it, as well as you have plenty of regular bars, karaoke and just different jams for the night basically, every single night. If you want you can hang out every single night, it can be crazy, it can get less crazy. But it’s possible and it’s also important to have a social life as well. So
- The nature is simply phenomenal! I personally love nature and a big fan of nature and I’m not a big city person. Lots of people are looking to live in a big city. Not me. I need nature around me to feel good. Here you will get all the nature you want! Even though it’s an island, it’s like a mini big city in a way that you do have access to plenty of things here which you can have in the big city. You have amazing sunsets which you can see every single day, lush mountains and greens, tropical beaches.
- Easy communication with the outside world! You can cheaply call internationally as well through the phone companies. I use AIS, and you can easily have international calls if needed for the local landlines. It costs $1 for 10 minutes of conversation for me to call Israel for example. I personally actually use Skype as well. I have Skype credit and I just got my phone number for travelling and I call it worldwide all the time through it. Using the local phone, makes it very easy and you don’t rely on WiFi for having calls.
- Life changing saunas! There are a few very unique sauna experiences you can do here. I love saunas, and I think they are so healthy, and it is very easy to include twice a week a visit to the sauna, which also will be life changing because many of the saunas are open in the nature, and then you can sit under the stars with a fire and zone out and get your relaxation.
- Extremely low air promotion! It’s one of the places which you have a very, very low pollution. Practically, there is none here. Once you go up from here and you go to a bigger island or any other city, you will feel air pollution.
- Absolutely low to zero amount of stress!. Stress is one of things which hurts us in terms of health and in general our emotions. Seems to be like a very western thing to be stressful for the day and if you’re hereI think it’s going to be very, very hard to be stressed. You need to work at it to be stressed. We are creatures of our environment, and you get affected by the environment. Everybody here are so calm, happy, and nobody wants from you anything (Unlike other places, where people want your money as a tourist) your stress levels are going to be dropped down like crazy and there’s really not many places which give you this effect of low to zero amount of stress like here in Koh Phangan.
- Easy to maintain a healthy life here! Personally, it’s very important to have options and access to healthy food because sometimes when you’re travelling, you don’t have access to healthy food and if it’s important to you, it’s a challenge and here there are so so many healthy options. Whether you are a vegetarian, vegan or paleo, you can find something for you and you have a ton of health food stores here, with access to a bunch of superfoods, super herbs, supplements, and local food which grows on the island. This includes a lot of things that are not just food related, such as yoga camps, saunas, workshops. If health is your priority, Koh Phangan will make it easy to maintain it.
Putting down all of those reasons together, Koh Phangan is my personal heaven as a digital nomad. I brought here some friends and other people have been here and all of said and felt the same. It has its minuses, of course, no place is perfect. But I actually didn’t find a single place which combines all the points I mentioned together
What is your digital nomad heaven that you personally found? Please share in the comments.